Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Finishes

I'm pretty proud of myself. I completed two projects this week! 

First, I quilted, bound and gifted the baby quilt for the young lady in our church.  I'm pretty happy with this one.  The 9-patch blocks are approximately 7" square with 2" sashing.

You can see the backing I used for the back and binding in this picture, but what you can't see is the very pale white polka dots in the yellow fabric.  I'm not surprised as it was hard to see up-close as well.  I think the yellow backing complimented the top well.

The second project I completed was a curtain.  When we moved into this house last year, I was complaining to my sisters how I couldn't find a curtain I liked for our bathroom window. The previous owners had left a top curtain hanging which was about 10" in height.  It did nothing for the window and was not complimenting my chosen color scheme.  My problem was that the window is positioned in such a way that I needed something that was about 45" long because the window cuts over the countertop and I didn't want to have a solid curtain which would block the sunlight.  My sister said that I should stop looking and make my own.    Of course!  Why didn't I think of that?!  So that was the beginning of my planning process.  What did I want the curtain to look like?

I decided that I wanted the top to be this top curtain.  I had tried it initially when I took down the curtain that had been left behind, but the tabs made it hang loosely and unattractively.  Hmmm... Ok, I can fix that, but what about the bottom?  I need privacy and sunlight.

I had been eyeing this gauze-like material at Hobby Lobby.  This week, they were having a 30% off sale on their upholstery fabric.  I bought 3 yards of this fabric.  That means that with the gauze fabric and the window ribbon to create a sleeve for the rod, the curtain cost me less than $16 and it's exactly what I wanted!!!!!!!

I frogged the tabs from the curtain top, cut two 38" panels from the gauze-like fabric, hemmed it, and gathered it before sewing it to the top about an inch from the bottom of it.  I also create a sleeve for the rod just below the top of the plaid.  Here's the window pre-treatment.

And here it is post-treatment.

I was very grateful for the experiences of my youth when I made my own dresses because it made the gathering of the gauze so simple for me. 

I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks, Mary, for the suggestion that I make it myself.


  1. That Mary is a smart one, but you are even cleverer for making the curtain yourself! They both look awesome sauce. I'm sure your friend will be so thrilled with the quilt!

  2. That is a NICE quilt. If I ever decide I want kids, I will also decide I want a quilt exactly like that. Good job on the curtain, too!

    1. Thanks, B. I'll keep that in mind. ;) I liked keeping it gender-neutral even though they think they know what sex the baby will be. If you like this, wait til you see the next couple of projects I'm working on.

  3. Your welcome! Looks even better than expected!