Friday, September 7, 2012

Feeling Foolish

There are a number of reasons why I'm feeling foolish.  

First, I really thought that I would have more time to sew than I have had.  You see, my classes began again last month.  There was a graduate student orientation on August 15th which was really more of an informational lunch, but I went anyway.  Then classes began on August 20th.  I'm taking two online classes this semester which has been a true challenge for me.  Staying on top of the online lectures and electronic homework has thrown me for a loop. I'm working to keep better track.  In my foolish optimism, I thought I would still be able to fit an hour or two into my week despite taking three doctoral classes, driving five hours round trip once a week,  and teaching two classes. Haha.  How foolish I've been. I am working on a project, but finding time to sew between road time, reading, classes, lectures, teaching, and maintaining my relationship with the hubs is beyond difficult.  It's also why I've been quiet on the blog.

Second, I received an email from a close relative criticizing me for forgetting an important date for them.  I feel miserable about this.  I did not forget the occasion.  I bought a card. But anyone who knows me well, knows I am the queen of procrastination.  If my professors provided any give in the deadlines for homework and papers, I would put them off until the very last second.  This relative is not the only person I have not mailed things to, either.  They are not even the one who's waited the longest! I just sent a card to our niece whose birthday is in May.  More embarrassingly, I mailed a birthday package to my youngest sister today - her birthday is in March.  I told you. I procrastinate to an embarrassing length.  One need not look further than my current sewing/quilting projects to find evidence of my procrastination (a quilt from high school more than 20 years ago and a wall quilt I cut out 7 or 8 years ago).

However, there is good news for you, dear reader. Because I have finally sent her package, I am now able to show the tea cozy I made for her.  A few years ago (further proof of my procrastination) I asked my sisters to pick out some fabric collections they found attractive so I would be able to make them things in styles they liked.  Two of the three chose collections and I purchased two charm packs then and there.  Now they both have tea cozies from those charm packs and I have a pretty firm idea of what they like now. Anyway, Mary chose the Minick and Simpson collection: Flag Day Farm (that shows you how long ago this was).


I was going to show you the end results... but I've thought better of it.  I want my sister to be surprised when she opens the package so I'll show you on Monday or Tuesday.   

Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment