Thursday, April 26, 2012

WIP... Thursday?

Normally, WIPs (works-in-progress) are a Wednesday report for most blogs... but most blogs are not written by a doctoral student. :o) I report when I have two minutes together.

I am almost finished with my Spring semester obligations.  I just have one final project left (due next week) and I received my feedback on the drafts last night.  I no longer have to make the 5-6 hours round-trip drive (depending on traffic) this semester either.  So, I'm taking today off from schoolwork.  This morning I checked email, read a few blogs, drank coffee leisurely and planned the rest of the day.  I had hoped to have lunch with a friend, but it wasn't in the cards.  So, instead, I worked a little on this blanket. 


I'm really loving this pattern.  

Yesterday, the hubs came home with flowers! It was such a pleasant surprise.


This afternoon I am planting a couple of bleeding hearts (one pink and a couple white) in the front.  Our front yard is in shade for most of the day, and I wanted perennials that would thrive in this condition - especially since the grass doesn't do well.  This spring, we turned soil in two feet swaths along the retaining wall, sidewalk and patio and planted a couple dozen shade-loving perennials.   Hopefully, by the end of the summer (or the beginning of next spring) we'll be able to see the beginnings of a beautiful shade garden!

I also have some onion plants to put in the ground.  The other day we were at one of the local home improvement stores to buy a new front door and saw that the tomato plants were huge and on sale for 50% off!  So, I'm going this afternoon to pick up a few of those and check out what else they have.  I'm also running over to the new garden store to see what they have.  Last fall, we learned that our favorite, locally-owned garden store was closing after several decades of business.   Apparently, they were unable to weather the slower business from the area flooding.  Anyway, they were bought out by a well-known, regional gardening group.  When the hubs drove past last week, he said that the greenhouses are overflowing with plants.  I can't wait to check it out! 

Enjoy the weather!


2 comments:

  1. Yay for plants and flowers from the hubs! They're beautiful. :) I LOVE your new blanket!! It's really, really beautiful. Those colors are just perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled to death you finally took a day off, holy cats! Nice blanket, nice flowers, nice hubs!

    ReplyDelete